Wednesday, February 4, 2009

To Lock or Not to Lock?

I've been wondering for awhile now whether or not to quit Facebook for many reasons and I read an article today that summed up EVERYTHING I had been thinking (http://www.newsweek.com/id/183180?GT1=43002) about the Facebook phenomena. I think I may start focusing on more of who my real friends are vs. the acquaintances who find me at random just so they can watch their "friend" number go up. It got me thinking on my life and who I feel should be a part of it and and who should not so I'm THINKING about locking my blog. I want those of you who really, truly are my friends and those that would like to get better acquainted to weigh in on my decision. If you have thoughts on this yourself or opinions on locking blogs, please share. I don't want to block people out of my life who think they are an acquaintance that are hoping to become better friends so please share your thoughts on what you think. Gosh, could I have used the word, "think" anymore in this posting?

6 comments:

Christy said...

I don't really know if you should lock your blog or not, but if you do you should let me see it :). And if you were to lock your blog you wouldn't have to worry as much about people seeing the pics of your kiddos.....I don't know if that would make a difference to ya.

Amy Brooks said...

Well, I think it's a good idea to lock it. Mine has always been locked and only people I invite can view it. I think I like it that way and have been happy just having my close friends and family be able to view it. I don't like being some random blog out there in cyber space that anyone can look at. Just my 2 cents. Oh, and I'm with you on the facebook thing. I have a bunch of people that ask to be friends with me, that I know darn well never even liked me.

House of Smiths said...

Hey Heather!
Thank you for all your sweet compliments and for entering my blog giveaway!
Thanks for stopping by!
Shelley Smith

Josy12 said...

I enjoy reading your blog, Heather. Since we live so far away from each other, it has helped me to get to know you better. I admire you for all the things you do and the way you are with your children. We love you very much.
Regarding blocking your blog, I think it is safer to allow only real friends and family to see it. That way you can control it and not everyone out in cyberspace has access to it. I only allow friends and family to access my facebook for that very reason.

Liz said...

I'm ambivalent about it. I used to be so annoyed at people who locked their blogs but now I feel like if that's what they feel they need to do, it's their prerogative. me personally, I have found high school friends and college friends and singles ward friends that i had lost contact with through my blog and i don't want to stop that. so i try to not say too much about myself and i regularly google myself to see if i'm revealing too much. and until i have a scary comment, i don't think i'll be locking my blog.

Angela said...

Hey there. I've wondered the same thing, not sure where I stand yet. I might not be too creative, but as long as I'm not posting my address or too much personal info, then what's the worst that can happen?