Thursday, January 3, 2013

Update on {G}.

I figured I'd give an update on G since I haven't in awhile, but not like people are asking, I find I keep miserable company in friends and really should un-friend more.  So I guess this post is more for my records:)

Last summer we flew to Chicago to meet with a new doc for G in hopes we'd pull him out of the grips of Autism even more.  It's been 7 months now, and back in November we learned our new physician was moving to CA to start with a new pediatrician practice that focuses solely on holistic healing.  After much thought on if we felt we'd follow her to this new practice in CA or stay put and just transfer to another doc w/in the same practice in Chicago, we've decided to stay put.  We will continue our journey with the same office, but different doc.  This other doc is actually the main doc and is absolutely brilliant in healing an Autistic body.  The only reason we didn't go with her in the beginning was because of price.  We've decided G is worth more than any amount we'd ever pay to heal him.  So, we're off to Chicago again in February, this time it will just be G and me so I'm praying that everything will fall into place:)

In the meantime, I had a test ran called, Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR).  It's a simple blood test to determine common gene mutations.  Why more docs aren't running this test is beyond me (seriously, got symptoms? look them up to see if they fall under MTHFR!).  Last week I got the results back for this blood test and G tested positive for 2 copies of the A1298C gene mutation but negative on the C677T (good news).  Basically what this means is that G sadly inherited this gene mutation once from his dad and once from me:(  This test tells us a few things, his methylation cycle is completely out of whack and needs to be corrected, he can never have nitrous oxide at a dental office (neither should his dad or me, possibly his sisters too, we haven't tested them yet), he's at a higher risk for cardiovascular issues, the type of folate he takes has to be in methyl form and may require amounts similar to a pre-natal dose and a lot of his symptoms are due to this mutated gene and with proper diet can reduce these symptoms.

With knowing the results of this test, I know that going to see this new woman in Chicago is a much better choice because she is a leading expert on methylation/krebs cycle.  I just pray Mr. D's job holds steady and we can continue forward with treating G.

I know a lot of families out there who deal with Autism don't go to the lengths we've chosen to go to heal Autism.  I have to be honest though, it makes me sad:(  When you do blood work on your child and you see the amount of inflammation that is riddling their bodies and the levels of bad bacteria outnumbering the good and the vitamin/mineral levels completely off balance, and the toxic waste eating away at their joints why would you let your child suffer??  They feel sick all the time but don't realize it because they assume it's normal to feel that bad:(  My son has Autism.  Autism is a condition that is completely treatable in many different ways.  Not one method works for every person with Autism that is why it is so important to find a physician that understands this and will constantly brainstorm with you to keep fighting for your specific child.    Is it hard work? That's an understatement.  Is it expensive? Again, that's an understatement.  Is my child worth the fight to pull them out of Autism grips? HELL YES!!!!  Why should I live my life happy and free and pretend my son doesn't need medical help?  Seriously?  I want to smack parents up side the head when they do NOTHING for their kids with Autism.  DO SOMETHING!  K, I'm getting worked up, I love the Autism community so much, these people are brilliant and believe it or not, they are learning everything you are, they just can't express it....yet:)

3 comments:

Spencer Family said...

I have wondered how things were going. I'm glad you updated! G is so lucky to have you two for parents. You guys are amazing! Keep us posted on how the appointments in Chicago go!

Christy said...

You go girl! I'm glad for a G update. Good luck with the doctors in Chicago!

Anonymous said...

So glad to learn of the update on G. We, also, are grateful you can get the help that so many others simply cannot afford. Your complete commitment is a blessing for him. Keep the updates coming!