It's amazing how sick people are and assume their symptoms are medical vs. environmental. I have finally had enough and am cleaning up my home environment one step at a time. I make my own cleaning supplies, I read labels, I read labels and did I mention, I read labels? I buy organic, I make lotions, lip balms, healing balms, I can even make deodorant and toothpaste. My latest change in my home is getting rid of the chemical laden and not to mention, expensive dryer sheets.
So, let's begin...
Buy 100% wool yarn (it must be 100% and indicate it is NOT machine washable). I got mine at Hobby Lobby w/my 40% off coupon, Michael's has 100% wool yarn as well.
Wrap it about 20 times around your fingers to start....
Pull the yarn off and begin wrapping the other direction so you'll have a cute little bow (isn't it precious?)....
Keep changing directions so you make a ball of yarn, this should roughly be the size of a tennis ball. Take a large holed needle (or a crochet hook would work) and thread the end of your yarn through and tie a knot to secure the ball. These balls are your "core".
Once all your balls are tied off, get some pantyhose (seriously, I freaking LOVE that word, I giggle every time!) and turn them inside out so the toe stitching is facing outward. If you don't do this, the wool will knot up with the toe stitching and that's just a mess you don't want to deal with.
I obviously used some of Baby R's old tights she's outgrown (I did cut the bum off so I had two separate "caterpillars"). Tie off your balls in the pantyhose using a NON-wool tie (acrylic needlepoint thread works well).
NEXT: You do everything you are NOT supposed to do to wool. Chuck your "caterpillars" into the washer and wash on the hottest setting you have. Then, you dry them. They will shrink a bit:)
After your "core" balls are dry, you get to wrap them again:) Wrap them till they are roughly the size of a softball or 10-11 inches in diameter.
Repeat: Tie them up again and wash and dry on hot/high:)
Softness prevails! Aren't they pretty?
Optional: You can use Essential Oils in your balls but the scent won't last. If you choose to use EO's, note that you need to allow the oils to set in and dry on the balls before putting in the dryer or you may end up with oil marks.
FYI: These last approximately 5 YEARS! That's A LOT of change in my pocket and a lot less chemicals on my kids clothes!
FYI-2: Small load = 3 balls, Medium = 4-5 balls, Large = 6 balls, XL = 8 balls.
If you are trying to clean up your home and the chemicals and nastiness let me know what you are doing, it's ok to brag cause I may learn something new from YOU!!
Namaste.
2 comments:
Post your deodorant recipe please!
These would make even Pete Schweddy jealous!
Post a Comment