Monday, July 15, 2013

My {Everything}.

 
I'm not sure if I mentioned this or not, but we had to make an ugly decision (once again) on behalf of G's development.  Because of how school is taught (to the masses), kids with comprehension issues get left behind to fend for themselves.  G has been brilliant at hiding his comprehension issue up until about 18 months ago.  He had discovered that by memorizing and then regurgitating what was read/said was working for him. 
 
It really wasn't.  We caught on.
 
So, after a year at a reading clinic and not really getting to the root of the issue we went hardcore and decided it was going to be necessary to take G's summer away and fill it with one-on-one tutors for several hours a day, M-F.
 
This has been difficult not only on him but for me and his sisters.  His first tutor shows up bright and early at 8am (no sleeping in for me) and I am not allowed to leave the house unless I have someone 21 or older who knows G (um, my babysitter is only 16 so she can't help me).
 
We sit home all day.
 
So while you are out with your kids, playing at the park, going on family vacations, hitting local hot spots.
 
We sit home all day.

We've been at this for exactly 6 weeks as of today now.  The past week G's work has been ramping up and getting harder and harder for him because his crutch of memorizing has become useless, he has to face his handicap head on.  And by 'head on', I mean he literally has been banging and crashing his head on the floor, wall, couch, doors etc...
 
The screams that have been coming out of him and the fact that he gave himself a black eye brought me to tears.  My hubby seems to always be thinking when I'm at my lowest with G.  He asked me such a stupid yet profound question... "why not put your EO diffuser in the media room and put oils on him before he goes up?"
 
DUH!!!
 
I've mentioned the use of my EO's before but I had to blog about my new everything oil.  I started using Young Living's Stress Away roll-on on his wrists and at the base of his brain stem.  The 2 days I forgot to put the oil on him before he went upstairs to work with his tutors was HELL!
 
Today was one of those days I forgot (I'm a bit sleep deprived today) and G just couldn't pull it together.  Finally he was given a 3 minute break to take a breather.  I snagged him and really oiled my child up!  His tutor also asked if she could turn the EO diffuser on, UM, YES!!!
 
I wasn't sure since I forgot if the oils were going to help him out, in my head I felt we were past the point of no return, but we weren't!!  Within 5 Minutes of me putting the oil on him and him smelling in the aromatherapy of another Young Living oil called Grounding, he was cool as a cucumber!
 
After the first 2 hours his tutor finally came down and asked me what I was using on him, we had a good chat and she was amazed at the difference the oils could make in his mood.  She even informed me that she had shut the diffuser off after about 10 minutes and about 30 minutes later he asked to have it back on:)
 
I love my oily boy:)  And I am in love with my new everything oil, Stress Away:)
 
If you are curious as to what is in Stress Away, it is a proprietary blend of Lime, Vanilla, Cedarwood, Ocotea, Copaiba and Lavender and it smells divine!

1 comment:

Liz said...

awesome! so glad you found something that helped!!

ps-my big family (parents, us and bro's fam) are contemplating a trip to Dallas this weekend! I'll keep you posted but we tend to be a last minute gig when we're on the extended side!