Tuesday, March 20, 2012

This little {piggy}.

(my actual piggy bank)

My whole life, I was never handed money, nor did I ask.  I remember as a kid finding dirty pennies in the parking lot as I was walking into Storehouse Market with my mom and secretly picking them up and holding them all the way through the store.  When I'd get home, I'd put them in a sandwich bag (the old, fold over top) and hide it from my sister whom I shared a room with in fear she'd tell on me.  To this day, I still pick up pennies but now, as an adult, I have my first, actual piggy bank.  She sits on my bathroom counter as a reminder that it's ok to pick up those pennies.  I actually have a lot of my same pennies believe it or not in my piggy bank today, I've never spent them:)  

I don't know why I felt so compelled as a child to hoard my few cents, but whatever that reason was, it definitely shaped me into the person I am today when it comes to money.  If I don't have money, obviously I don't spend it.  I also HATE the idea of ever owing someone money, but then again, I'll never borrow it so this issue should never come up in my lifetime.  I don't like knowing there is a potential of losing a large sum of money, I freak out and won't spend any money until what I see as a crisis, is squashed.  I also get a certain high when I see a bank account number rise.  I used to set goals for myself that I couldn't spend money until my account got to a certain point and then once I got it there, I wasn't allowed to dip below it, if I did, it stressed me out.

Even though my ideas of hoarding money are strange to some, it works for me and I love feeling how heavy my little piggy is getting:)

**Now, whomever is screaming from the peanut gallery to put my money (from my piggy bank) in the bank to gather interest, let me remind you, banks can fail!!!! 

2 comments:

Lisa/Scott said...

I love this. You sound exactly like Scott, his brothers, my father in law and his grandfather.
When Scott's grandfather died they found money in his mattress, in jars, under floorboards and even in walls. He left over a million dollars for his children to inherit. No jokes.
Everyone made so much fun of him for hoarding his money and penny pinching, but he left an awesome inheritance for his three children.

Josy12 said...

I agree with you 100% and congratulate you! You are one of the fortunate few who learned what it means to be financially responsible. I wish everybody would learn that lesson.