Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Relaxing in {San Diego}.

On our next night, grandma & grandpa sent Mr. D and I out while they babysat.  We don't normally take people up on babysitting cause both Mr. D and I feel like we are pawning our kids off and it is disrespectful.  BUT, we had a plan and so we jumped on the chance to get out of the house.  We could have gone to dinner or to a movie etc.. but nope, we went to Costco.  Yes, our date was at Costco.  We surprised my dad with a brand new 55 inch flat screen TV for his birthday/Father's Day.  It was great that we could see their walls, see where the TV could fit and then go find one and bring it home:)  I hear it's been installed and it looks so good that another flat screen was purchased to go into one of their guest bedrooms;)

Anyway, on our way home, I snapped this photo of the marine layer piling in for the night.  The ocean fascinates and scares me all at the same time.  Every night the clouds roll in and every morning the sun burns them off, it's a phenomenal thing.
We had one last day here in San Diego and our kids chose to go back to the beach (we offered Sea World, Legoland, San Diego Zoo and they still wanted the beach).  So we spent a good amount of time here playing. 
 
 
 
 
G learned that if you stand still, the waves coming in and out slowly sink your feet;)
 
He decided to finally push the sand away;) 
 
Saturday morning surf school was going on while we were there, these 3 were watching the kids and their instructors out there catching waves.
 
The beach is a major sensory filler for G, he bathes in the sand, it's heavy, it's gritty, it's squishy....everything a sensory kid could ever want. 
Little R seriously has fallen in love with the beach.  If you ask her what her favorite part about California was, she'd say "the beach" hands down.  I asked her if we lived there, instead of going to soccer practice she would go to surf school and she thought that was cool.  I wonder if her and grandma may have known each other in a past life??  Hmmmm.... 
 
These kids are loving their vacation! 
Looking for more sea shells. 
 
 
 
 
Baby R, on her quest to find sea shells found a clam that was still closed! 
 
This little girl came up and started playing with my kids, I didn't mind, her dad didn't mind so everyone was happy:) 
For real, I think this girl has found where she wants to move to when she grows up. 
What a great day at the beach but let's go home and shower so we can go get some dinner!
After a long day at the beach we went over to the mall and had dinner followed by frozen sorbet. 
G was in heaven!  Normally he doesn't get dessert but thank the heavens that California has options that are actually healthy and not full of sugar!!  Most people are used to frozen yogurt, but this place was nothing but fruit sorbets that you choose the flavor of.  Basically, they have all the frozen fruits out, you choose what you want (G chose mango, strawberry and blueberries), they take a block of unsweetened frozen rice milk and grind it all together  AND THAT IS ALL IT IS!  I got G a medium, he downed it so fast that he asked for more so Mr. D treated him to another cup full of his own concocted fruit sorbet.  I've never seen G eat so much sorbet in one sitting, it was a real treat for him to actually get to eat what everyone else was eating and that warms my heart:)

But, as much fun as the night has been, we need to get back to pack up as our plane leaves the next morning.  We've loved being here but it'll be nice to get back home to our regular routine and our own beds:)  Grandma & grandpa have been gracious hosts and great traveling companions this week but I'm sure they are looking forward to some peace and quiet of their own as well.  I love a good family vacation, this one was awesome and we are so blessed that Mr. D works as hard as he does so we can be so fortunate to do things like this:)
PS: This photo doesn't do my sunburn justice, the beach FRIED me burnt!  I could not move, I was in so much pain that anything that touched me I winced.  I learned my fair skin hadn't seen that much southern California sun in YEARS and it was shocked!  I have learned my lesson for next time on what I need to do to prevent this bad of a burn from happening again. 

No comments: