Monday, July 6, 2009

Worst nightmares DO come true...

So, two days before we left on our awesome CA vacation we found out that baby R's harness had indeed become pointless. After talking with Dr. Canada he said the dreaded, "S" word and my heart sank. We enjoyed our vacation not having to mess with baby R's harness and just tried to push the looming event that lurked ahead to the back of our minds so we could have fun. When we returned from CA I did go get a second opinion just to see and was told nothing new so we knew that surgery was our only option with baby R's hips. Last Monday I took my little (ok, she's big!) 7 month old baby to the hospital where they admitted her and gave her an awful, tiny, itty-bitty hospital gown and told me I couldn't feed her for 6 hours. You try denying your baby a feeding and holding them off for HOURS!! I walked the little thing to the OR (operating room) doors where the nurse then made me hand her off. I kissed her sweet face and watched as she seemed so calm not knowing what lied ahead. They knocked her out, performed the surgery and she awoke MAD! The anesthesia took 2 1/2 days to fully wear off and her muscle spasms kept her awake for 2 days!!! It was awful but day by day she is tolerating her cast but when frustrated she does smack her legs....it's sad to watch. Here is a pic of my poor little girl now..


She will be in this cast that goes from mid-chest down to her ankles (as you can plainly see) for six weeks and then they will go back in and if her hips are still in the socket they will do a new cast that only goes to her knees for another six weeks. We are praying with all our might that this will work! Her hips could still pop out of their sockets even in the cast so we are hanging on every x-ray she gets. Keep this little one in your prayers that this will never become a lifelong battle (it very well could, sad). We hope this was just a fluke she was born with and after this mess she'll be good to go for life!!

3 comments:

Brittany said...

Poor baby! I am so sorry. I will remember her in my prayers. Are you ok, Heather?

Christy said...

Poor baby R and poor mommy and daddy!! I'm so sorry that she has to be in that cast and that your family is having to go through all this! I will keep your family in my prayers!

Josy12 said...

We'll definitely keep her and also you and your whole family in our prayers.