Friday, March 29, 2013

It is a HUGE, big {deal}.

G and I have been a team in therapy since he was 9 months old.  G has endured hours and HOURS of physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy and a ton more extras such as feeding therapy, social skills, tutoring.....the list goes on.

I've always been the one to take G to therapy, I'm the one who has watched him fight with therapists the most, scream at them, refuse to work, etc... So many days as I sat and watched and tried to help I wondered if G needed a break, maybe he wasn't going to ever grasp the coordination or strength to do what typical peers could do.  But then, when I least expect it, G pulls out skills we had been working tirelessly on and my whole world fills with hope.

Hope. Faith. Love.

One night this past November as I was tucking G into bed, I told him to think about what he felt he needed to pray for as he typically spats off the same memorized prayer and it surprised me when he prayed to be "the highest swinger on the playground" but everything else was the usual prayer he knows.  G has struggled horribly with core issues, we worked for years to help him understand how to use his trunk in so many different activities to only get minimal results with him.  Up until this past fall, Mr. D and I had to push him on the swings like a toddler.  I worked personally with him to show him the rhythm of swinging and his brain just could never connect to his core.  Out of nowhere, clearly his prayer worked because I looked outside and he was doing it, he was swinging all by himself!  I tear up as I write this because I don't know life outside of therapy walls.  To see him finally getting something that helps him fit in with his NT peers is such an amazing gift and such an amazing testament that it doesn't matter if you are special needs and saying a memorized prayer, God is still hearing you.  God blessed G with the gift to be the highest swinger on the playground and he deserves that gift, he has worked so long on this function and to finally have it is a perfect blessing in the purest form.

Keep swinging higher G, you can only go up from here!

2 comments:

Liz said...

what a sweet story!

Christy said...

Oh yes Heavenly Father listens to his prayers! That is such a sweet story Heather. Thanks for sharing! I'm glad Heavenly Father answered this prayer of his! Hugs to you!